Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lemming myth

Oh man, “Lemmings do not commit mass suicide. It's a myth,” I got this off of this site,

http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlife_news.view_article&issue_id=6&articles_id=56

I was bored last night and I was thinking of lemmings for some odd reason, so I “Googled” lemmings. And this is what I come across? The article says that Disney staged the mass suicide, actually throwing lemmings off the cliff.

“The epic "lemming migration" was staged using careful editing, tight camera angles and a few dozen lemmings running on snow covered lazy-Susan style turntable.”

Like wow, even this was on the site,

"It's a complete urban legend," said state wildlife biologist Thomas McDonough.”I think it blew out of proportion based on a Disney documentary in the '50s, and that brought it to the mainstream."

I watched that, I thought it was real; I skipped that chapter in my encyclopedia. I honestly thought they killed themselves every five or ten years. There was even a “Nintendo” game called Lemmings, and they ran together, you ran with em, tried to stop them from taking the plunge I think. But damn!

Well now I know a bit more about those little cute rodents, and now so do you. Peep out the link and read up on those little bastards.

Till next time….

No comments: