Monday, June 30, 2008

"Johanna" live at the "Bayou"


It was Friday night June 27. My friend “Melissa” and I head out to the “Bayou” in “Mount Vernon” to go watch a show. Were going to go watch “Johanna” and her band perform there. I had told her prior that she was in for a treat. However, boy was I wrong; we were both in for a treat.

This young lady hit the stage with a vengeance. She rocks! Her voice is beautiful. She is extremely personable, has an amazing stage presence, and her band does not hit a bad note. This was by far one of the best live acts I have seen in a long time.

From the first to the last song, you are glued to your seat. You just want her to keep on singing. For the moments that she is performing, everything in your life fades away. Not many artist performance can keep you enthralled for their whole set, but she can.

She even did an “Alicia Keys” cover of her song “No one”. In addition, I must tell you, her version sounds as if it is her own song. She sang the hell out of that song. This lady sang the hell out of every song. In addition, her band, oh my, they are incredible musicians, and this is coming from a musician, so I know when a band misses a note or messes up. These guys simply rocked.

I had to buy her album at the end of her second set. Yes, folks I sat there for two sets. My date was so impressed with them that all we spoke about the rest of the night was “Johanna”. Guys, word of advice, a “Johanna” show, is the perfect place for a date.

I will be putting out a review on her album shortly, but in the mean time, just peep out her page and sample some songs. You can even go to www. iTunes. com and do a search under her name or search for the album titled” Why would I sing”. And if you hate itunes like I do, you can get it at http://cdbaby. com/cd/johannamusic . You will not be disappointed. Trust me, have I ever lead you wrong?

Right now, all I can say is that she encapsulates love beautifully. Her CD has not left my player since Friday night. Moreover, it will not leave for another month or so.

Till next time….

No comments: